What Makes You Happy
Session 3: Happy Money
When it comes to our finances, most of us believe that the connection between happiness and money is determined by the amount of money we have. If money hasn’t made us happy so far, it’s only because we don’t have enough. But if your goal is to find happiness in money, no amount of money will ever be enough. It’s not about how much money you have; it’s about how you manage it.
1. Talk about a time when you thought a material possession would make you happy (we’ve all thought it). Did you acquire that possession? If so, how long did your happiness last?
2. Have you ever met someone who was happy despite having little money? If so, what stood out about that person?
3. What are some reasons it’s so tempting for us to serve money instead of God?
4. To what extent does discontentment currently drive your behavior and undermine your sense of peace?
5. During the message, it was said, “Giving will bring you joy, saving will you bring peace, and living on the rest will bring you freedom.” Is it difficult for you to believe that? Why or why not?
6. Is it most difficult for you to give, save, or live within your means? Why do you think that area of your finances is a struggle? What can you do this week to begin to reprioritize your finances? How can this group support you?
Money won’t make you happy, but money can contribute to your happiness if you manage it well. Generosity and wisdom with money will make you happy. Imagine if you’d been wise and generous with your money all along. You’d be happier.
The joy that managing your finances can bring begins with recognizing all we have is a gift from God. Your Next Step may be to be grateful for what you have and mange it so you can be a blessing to others.
If you are managing your finances well are you being generous? Your Next Step maybe to follow Jesus example and begin to live a generous life towards others.
CHANGING YOUR MIND
“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”