WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
Session 2: Plan for It
Have you ever heard, “God doesn’t want you to be happy; He wants you to be holy”? Too often we assume that happiness and holiness are mutually exclusive. We think we have to choose one or the other. We believe we can’t be both. The New Testament does teach that God wants us to be holy. But holiness and happiness don’t stand in opposition. It’s quite the contrary.
1. Last week, you were challenged to turn your attention to Jesus as your source for happiness. How did it go?
2. How would you define the word “holiness”? How do you think your definition has influenced your relationship with God?
3. Do you have trouble believing that happiness follows from the list of behaviors Jesus describes? Why or why not?
4. What are some reasons it’s difficult for us to live as though we’re dependent on God for provision, pardon, and protection? What do we lose when we live like that? What do we gain?
5. To what extent have you built your life on dependence upon God? How do you think that has affected your happiness?
6. If happiness is powered by the law of the harvest, what do you need to “sow” in your life right now so that you can “reap” happiness in the future? How can this group support you?
Life is difficult for everyone. We all face obstacles, suffer setbacks, and miss opportunities. Wise people don’t find happiness in their circumstances. Wise people recognize their dependence on God and find happiness in that dependence.
Your Next Step is to may be to begin a relationship with God by inviting him into your heart and begin placing your trust in Him.
Your Next Step may be to stop allowing circumstances dictate your happiness and find true joy in know you can depend on God beyond your circumstances.
CHANGING YOUR MIND
“Therefore anyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a personwho builds a house on solid rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.”