FROM THIS DAY FORWARD
Session 5 Never Give Up
* What are the 5 commitments we are making to invest in our marriage?
- Seek God
- Fight Fair
- Have Fun
- Stay Pure
- Never Give Up
* As we begin this week we need to make sure that we are discussing from this day forward. No matter your experience, God can make all things new. Any mistakes of the past are that, past, and your current marriage has hope.
Read Matthew 19:3-6
3Some Pharisees came and tried to trap him with this question: “Should a man be allowed to divorce his wife for just any reason?”4“Haven’t you read the Scriptures?” Jesus replied. “They record that from the beginning ‘God made them male and female.’” 5And he said, “‘This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.’ 6Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together.”
* How does Jesus describe marriage in these passages? (United, one flesh, God joined)
* Remember the illustration of the two pieces of paper being glued together and trying to pull them apart? What makes divorce so painful?
* Is “You can’t un-one what God made one” and accurate description of marriage?
* Why is marriage not a contract but a covenant? Can a covenant be broken?
Read Galatians 6:7-8
7Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. 8Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit.
* Why is it so important to sow into our marriage?
* What are some seeds that should be sowed into our marriages?
* What are some things we sow into that can be harmful to our marriages?
* What was the one statement used this week that sums up the entire series?
* Do all marriages have problems? What makes a marriage ultimately successful?
Read Galatians 6:9
9So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.
* Per the scripture we ready, what is God’s promise to us if we never give up?
* Investment begins with commitment. How does the statement “neglect the whole world rather than each other” sum up this term commitment?
* How does praying for your spouse allow you to be humble and show them grace forgiveness and mercy?
* We must remember that when we pray for our spouse, that with God, all things are possible.
* Why is "I don’t feel like it" not a viable excuse?
* How does Seeking God … fighting fair … having fun … staying pure … never giving up move us purposefully to reaping the harvest God has promised?
* Perhaps you never realized that your marriage was not a contract but a covenant with God. Your Next Step is to embrace the attitude of never giving up and not allowing anyone or anything to Un-one what God made one”. It may mean you need to seek counsel and support from others. That okay because we believe “you can’t do life alone”. Ask your Life Group leader about available resources.
* Perhaps you have been sowing all the wrong things into your marriage and excepting to reap something else. Your next step is to begin sowing into your marriage what you desire to get out of it or stop sowing in to areas of your life and focus on your marriage.
* Perhaps your spouse has stopped or never was part of your prayer life. Your next step is to pray for them. With God all things all possible.