Wish You Were Here
Part 4: Somebody Knows
How do you get from where you are to where you wish you were . . . or even where God wishes you were? It can help to know the way. And that means seeking the wisdom of people who traveled the path before you. Somebody knows how to get from where you are to where you want to be. Find that person. Listen up.
- Do you tend to be cautious or are you a risk-taker? How has that tendency been a strength in your life? How has it been a weakness?
- Read Proverbs 22:3. When have you seen a friend or family member moving toward danger despite good advice from others? What, if anything, did you do?
- During the message, Don said, “Give us enough time and we can always find someone who will tell us what we want to hear, which empowers us to do what we want to do and lands us where we don’t want to be.” Talk about a time in your life when you ignored wisdom and listened to people who told you what you wanted to hear. What did it cost you?
- Who is one person in your life that has nothing to lose by telling you the truth? Do you currently seek wisdom from that person? Why or why not?
- What do you wish you’d been doing all along to get where you want to be? What is one step you can take this week to begin doing it? What can this group do to support and encourage you?
- What is a behavior that has hindered you from getting where you want to be in life? What can you do this week to stop that behavior? What can this group do to hold you accountable?
Don’t listen to what you want to hear. Listen to people who are where you want to be and have
nothing to lose by telling you the truth. They can help you get there. Somebody knows how to get from where you are to where you want to be. Find that person and listen up.
CHANGING YOUR MIND
The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.