Under the Influence
Week 1 - The Stewardship of Influence
How to use Talk It Over
Talking through the message during the week helps you and your group turn what God is saying to you into action steps. Begin with the key questions, add any optional scriptures and questions if needed, and then wrap up by deciding on your next steps.
As you and I grow in our relationship with Jesus, we are to grow collectively in our influence as a church, in our communities and the world.
• Who was one person that influenced you in a negative way?
• Who was one person that influenced you in a positive way?
• Have you ever considered that you also have influence and are responsible to use that influence to bless God and others?
Jeremiah 15:19 (NLT) - You are to influence them; do not let them influence you!
7 Streams of Culture that can and should be influenced by the Kingdom of God.
The Seven Streams of Influence in our Culture:
- Church (Imagine the world without the culture of God and the Church)
- Art & Entertainment.
- Education (Years long by, most Universities were Christian).
- Media (Radio, TV, Internet).
- Family (You can study that anytime in human history, the family flourished so did the culture and anytime the family diminished, so did the culture).
The local church is the HUB. We don’t ask the other 6 streams of influence to be like us, we as the local church “serve them” and God can change the World
Matthew 5:13 (NLT) - “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
• What is the purpose of salt?
Hebrews 13:16 (NIV) - And don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God.
John 14:12 (NLT)- “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.
• How is our living attractive lives salt to the rest of the world?
Ephesians 2:10 (NLT) - For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.
• Have you ever considered that your day to day life can and should be an act of worship that blesses God and encourages others?
• How do we sometimes allow our influence to be stolen or diluted in our day to day life? What steps can we take to eliminate distraction and “do the good thing he has planned for us so long ago”?
• Pastor said “If you change your world, you will help change the world.” What is your world?
“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” Helen Keller.
Matthew 20:28 (NLT) - For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
• If Attitude determines action! How can you set your attitude to serve others and the beginning of the day?
• Realize you have the power and a purpose to influence your world into the best life for them by a relationship with God.
• Find a Need and fill it find a hurt and heal it. Be God’s blessing to someone.