Session 2 - Looking Out
Getting Started: Find a conversation starter for your group.
- How did using your Jars help you to pray or focus on God’s unlimited resources?
- If you were on a deserted island with food, water, shelter, and an IPHONE, what would we VALUE the Most?
- What are The Fountains Core Values? Found People Find People, Saved People Serve People, You can’t Do Life Alone, Growing people Change, You Can’t Outgive God.
- How is each one focused on serving others?
- Who is the most generous person you know and what makes them generous?
Read Proverbs 11:24-25 One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.25 A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.
- Two weeks ago, we discussed that following God doesn’t always make sense. How are these verses contrary to what the world says is logical?
- Pastor said “Generosity is not based on your economic status but your pure Intentions of looking out for others.”
- What are the characteristics of true generosity and the heart?
Read Luke 10:30-37 - Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. 34 So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.’ 36 So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?”37 And he said, “He who showed mercy on him.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”
- Why didn’t the Priest or the Levite get involved with the wounded man?
- What are some excuse we use sometimes not to be generous?
- What did the Samaritan gain by being generous?
Read John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
- How does this verse personify the generosity of God the Father?
- How did the life Jesus lived on earth personify the same generous heart of the father?
Read 1 John 3:16-17 - 16 By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. 17 But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?
- What are some very practical ways, that you can look out for others and show love daily, beyond just your family?
- How can you be generous with your time?
- How can you be generous with you talents?
Read Matthew 6:24 - “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
Read 1 Timothy 6:10 - For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.
* Why is the love of money evil?
* How do we trust money in some ways more than God’s unlimited resources?
* How can you be generous with your treasures?
Read 2 Kings 4:5-7 NLT 5 So she did as she was told Her sons kept bringing jars to her, and she filled one after another. 6 Soon every container was full to the brim! “Bring me another jar,” she said to one of her sons. “There aren’t any more!” he told her. And then the olive oil stopped flowing. 7 When she told the man of God what had happened, he ` to her, “Now sell the olive oil and pay your debts, and you and your sons can live on what is left over.”
- What was the woman’s response to Elisha’s request? What was the outcome of her obedience?
- Did the woman get exactly what she asked or did God provide beyond what she asked for?
- How important is obedience we God ask us to do something that doesn’t make sense?
What’s Your Next Step
How often do you look out for others beyond your immediate family? Is most of your time trying to better yourself or help others become better? Your next step maybe to move forward in living to serve. It is only when we learn to serve will we become generous and find the full life of following Christ.
We don’t always think about giving God our time. There are times we forget, like any relationship, it takes investing time with the other to make it grow. If you not spending time with God in the morning to invite him to be part of your day that is your Next Step.
We can do more to serve others by serving together. Are you serving on the Dream Team? If not that is your Next Step. You can serve in the community is other ways, but serving the body should be a top priority for all who are part of The Fountains.
IT’s easy to think we can manage our finances without being obedient. Remember God can do more with the 90% then we can with 100%. God doesn’t need your money but wants your heart to trust his provision. Are you tithing? If not, that is your Next Step.