Session 5 - Looking In
- Have you ever given up on something that you regretted later?
- The two types of people the Pastor spoke about today was, I will Pay now person and I will play now person. What’s the difference between the 2?
- Why is it so easy to focus on the now and miss what is most important in the future?
Read Genesis 22:1 - Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.”
- How had Abraham tried to use his own resource in the past? Have you ever tried to fix something on your own instead of trusting God?
- What is the difference between Testing and temptation?
- Do you feel you have ever been tested by God? Share your story.
Read Genesis 22:2 - Then He said, “Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.”
- God placed His finger on what Abraham most valued, his son. Was it cruel for God to ask such a sacrifice?
- Has God ever challenged you to give up something of great value to trust Him?
Read Genesis 22: 3-4 - So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son; and he split the wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of which God had told him. 4 Then on the third day Abraham lifted his eyes and saw the place afar off.
- Do you believe that Abraham got much sleep the night before?
- How does sacrifice call Abraham to action? How does sacrifice call us to action?
- Pastor said “You have to give up to go up!”. What does that mean to you?
Read 2 Samuel 24:24 “…I will not present a burnt offering to the Lord my God that have cost me nothing.”
- How does David define sacrifice for us in this verse?
- How does sacrifice make us choose what is most important over what is urgent?
- Did God’s request of Abraham make sense?
Read Genesis 22:5 And Abraham said to his young men, “Stay here with the donkey; the lad and I will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you.”
- How does this verse show Abraham’s faith?
Read Genesis 22:6-13 - So Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went together. 7 But Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” Then he said, “Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” And Abraham said, “My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.” So the two of them went together. 9 Then they came to the place of which God had told him. And Abraham built an altar there and placed the wood in order; and he bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, upon the wood. 10 And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” So he said, “Here I am.” 12 And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.” 13 Abraham heard some NOISE. He looked and a RAM, got stuck in the Bushes. He ran and picked up the RAM, untied Isaac and Laid the RAM in His Sons Place and Sacrificed to God.
- At what point in this account was Abraham completely obedient? Do you think Abraham ever thought about bargaining with God on this request?
- Is there such a thing as partial obedience?
- What urgent thing are you focused on and allowing what’s important to pass you by? Is there something God is calling you to sacrifice yet you are trying to bargaining with Him to make the sacrifice less?
What’s Your Next Step?
- Are you a play now type that is missing the important for what is urgent? Your next step is to become a pay now person by seeking the important over the urgent.
- Are you walking with God in a way that you can hear His voice? If not your next step is to take time to enjoy and grow your relationship with Him. He has much to offer you as you walk through this life.
- Are you trusting in your own resources and abilities to get by? Your Next Step is to realize God want to work through you and for you and you can trust His unlimited resources?
- Is there something that you are holding in a place a value and not allowing God to touch? Your Next Step is to hand over everything to God in faith knowing he can do more with your life if he has every area.