Who am I?
I am The Light of the World.
Talking through the message during the week helps you and your group turn what God is saying to you into action steps. Begin with the key questions, add any optional scriptures and questions if needed, and then wrap up by deciding on your next steps.
As the Light of the World, Jesus reveals to us our guilt, God’s grace, and our hope.
- What’s one idea from the message that really stood out to you? Why did this idea grab your attention?
- What does God’s grace mean to you and how has it illuminated your life?
- Describe a time when Jesus helped you endure a hopeless situation. How did He reveal hope to you? Optional Questions: If needed, include one or more of these scriptures and questions to extend your conversation.
Read and discuss Acts 26:17-18 and John 8:1-12.
Acts 26:17-18 - And I will rescue you from both your own people and the Gentiles. Yes, I am sending you to the Gentiles to open their eyes, so they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God. Then they will receive forgiveness for their sins and be given a place among God’s people, who are set apart by faith in me.’
John 8:1-12 - Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them. As he was speaking, the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd.
4 “Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?”
They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, “All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” Then he stooped down again and wrote in the dust.
9 When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left in the middle of the crowd with the woman. Then Jesus stood up again and said to the woman, “Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?”
“No, Lord,” she said.
And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.”
Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”
- What guilt might Christ be revealing to you? What’s your next step to dealing with your guilt?
- Pastor said, “By God’s grace, what you did doesn’t stop who you can become.” What does that statement mean to you?
- What darkness might you be in the midst of right now? How could Jesus help illuminate your darkness?
- How should you treat people that sin based upon what you read in John 8:1-12?
- What’s one thing you will do this week as a result of something you learned from this message?