Session 4 OMG The God I Wish You Knew
Living Under A Friendly Sky
We have been looking at the true characteristics of God. With every distortion of God there is a corresponding consequence. As a Group we want to understand who God truly is. This week let’s discuss the goodness of God.
Breaking The Ice
All of our relationships originally started from a perception of the other person or group of people. It could be a good perception or a bad perception.
- Can you tell us of a time that you had the wrong perception of someone and how it changed when you met the person?
Our view of God is affected by our perception of God. In the past few weeks we have tried to gain a truer perception of God.
- Over the past few weeks has your view of God changed any? Why or why not?
Read Exodus 33:18-20 NIV
18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.” 19 And the LORD said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”
Moses ask to see the Glory of the Lord. God chooses instead to show His goodness. What God shows us in this passage is so hard to grasp. God simply shows us that He is good because He can be nothing else.
A.W. Tozer says, “The whole outlook of mankind might be changed if we could all believe that we dwell under a friendly sky and that the God of heaven, though exalted in power and majesty, is eager to be friends with us.”
1. Does the fact that God wants to be friends with you change your view of Him? Why or why not?
2. How do you develop a friendship with God?
3. How does having a friendship with God impact your day to day life?
We are challenged to have two responses to the goodness of God. Those two responses are gratitude and trust.
4. Are you becoming a more grateful person, or a grumbler?
5. How can you become more of a grateful person?
6. How would fully trusting God impact your life?
7. What keeps you from trusting God?
Maybe it is time for a gratitude check. In my walk with Jesus am I becoming a more grateful person or am I becoming more of a grumbler? Are you thankful to God for all that he’s done for you? Strive now to see God’s goodness around you as you trust him more.