Session 1 OMG The God I Wish You Knew
This weekend we kicked off the brand new series called, “OMG” The God I wish you knew. In today’s world there are a lot of misconceptions of who God really is. These misconceptions have caused many people, including some believers, to miss out on the relationship and full life God has for them. In this series our desire is that we grasp the truth about the God we serve and learn to walk in that relationship he always wanted with us. Once we understand our relationship with God, then we can share the love, hope and joy we have with others.
Breaking the Ice
Have you ever had an opinion or perception of someone and later found out that it was a misconception? Why did you have that misconception?
- What are some misconceptions that you once had about God that now you have discovered are not true?
Many people, for whatever reason, have some misconceptions of who God is. The problem is with every misconception there is a corresponding consequence.
We must understand how God loves us in order to truly understand God.
If you believe that every time something goes wrong in your life that that is God trying to get you, you will never trust your heavenly father.
If you believe you have to have all of your questions answered, to take away all the mystery and have all the t’s crossed and I’s dotted, and to know everything before you can trust him for something, you will never find faith and peace.
If every time you screw up you think God is mad at you then the consequence is your guilt will drive you away from God instead of to God.
- According to the message, why is it so difficult for us to truly understand God’s love?
When it comes to God’s love— the infinite, enduring, unconditional love of our heavenly Father— we really can’t relate. Because of our human relationships, we have been conditioned to measure love by what we do and how well we do it. Our loves are always characterized by “ifs,” “maybes,” and “because.” I’ll love you if you do this, or I love you because you did that. We can hardly imagine a love without conditions. Some misconceptions about God’s love are: it’s for certain people, it’s for super Christians, or it’s for the Mother Teresa type.
- What would our lives look like if we truly understood God’s love?
4 Implications of God’s Love
1. God wants to be with you.
Genesis 3:8a When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden.
God walked with Adam and Eve during the day. We really only take walks with people we want to be around.
- How does it affect you view of God’s love knowing that He wants to be with you?
- Why is it so hard to accept that God wants to be with you and spend time with you?
- How can the fact that God wants to be with us change the way we love and treat others?
It’s an amazing thought that though the self-existing God needs no one, He has chosen to be so emotionally identified with your ups and downs, your dreams and hopes, that your happiness actually affects His.
2. God identifies with you pain, joys, hopes and dreams.
John 11:33–36 33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. 34 “Where have you laid him?” he asked. “Come and see, Lord,” they replied.35 Jesus wept. 36 Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”
- If we know that God feels our pain, how does it affect how we go through pain?
- Why do we struggle knowing that God identifies with our hurts and pain?
- How could knowing that God relates to our hopes make us more hopeful?
- How do we respond to those around us who are going through pain?
3. God loves you apart from your performance.
There is nothing we can do to make Him love us any more or any less. God doesn’t love us because of who we are but because of who He is. He simply loves us!
- Why does our culture set expectations from others to receive love?
- Historically, why hasn’t the church been good at giving love freely?
- How can we freely give God’s love?
- How does the fact that God loves us apart from our performance affect your view of God?
We need to all be reminded that the huge sacrifice that makes a relationship with God possible has already been made by God himself through the sacrifice of Jesus. This gives us all the opportunity to say to people: You can come to God and the sacrifice has already been made; you don’t have to bring one. You can come to God just as you are.
Transformation is not a condition for but a by-product of his love.
4. God is creatively orchestrating people and circumstances to express his love.
In what ways have you seen God orchestrate His love for you?
Why do you think sometimes we miss God’s love?
Once we experience God’s love we have to constantly pray that God helps us grasp it and give it away.
What can help us grasp His love?
How can we give His love away in our own lives?
As a Group how can we give away God’s love?