Session 1 of Gone Rogue.
Samson was a strong man with a weak will, emotionally driven, not Spirit led. He ruined his life one step at a time. How do we keep from going rogue like he did?
Breaking the Ice
* Why do you think so many potentially great people fall apart?
Today we'll see that we'll never be great as long as we're strong in our own strength, because God loves to make weak people strong. In our weakness His strength is made perfect.
Read Isaiah 53:6a, "All of us, like sheep, have strayed away. We have left God’s paths to follow our own."
* What are some ways we leave God's paths for our own?
* What usually happens when we do things our way instead of God's?
* How does being weak-willed hinder us from achieving our potential?
Read Judges 14:2, Samson "said to his father and mother, “I have seen a Philistine woman in Timnah; now get her for me as my wife."
* Samson was an incredibly STRONG person with a dangerously WEAK will, because of 3 weaknesses: lust, entitlement, and pride.
o Lust caused him to forget about every step of logic and pursue what he wanted with reckless abandon.
o Entitlement caused him to think he deserved the sinful things he wanted.
o And pride made him believe he could handle temptation, which he was clearly not able to do.
Read James 1:14-15, "Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. 15 These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death."
* How do our desires cause us to forget what we're supposed to be doing?
* Why do you think people give up their family, career, and integrity so easily?
* How does loving God with everything we are help us overcome temptation?
Read Luke 12:15, "Then he said, “Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own.”"
* When we feel entitled to certain benefits or special privileges, we get greedy.
* How does a sense of entitlement weaken our resolve to do what's right?
* How can a good understanding of grace (knowing everything good we have is a gift from God) help us overcome our sense of entitlement?
Read Proverbs 16:18, "Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall."
* How does pride cause us to make mistakes?
* How can we guard against pride?
* How does recognizing our dependency on God help us overcome pride?
Remember, we'll never be great as long as we're strong in our own strength, because God loves to make weak people strong. In our weakness His strength is made perfect.
* Because of what we've learned today, what is one thing I will do differently this week?