Session 2 of Gone Rogue.
Samson was a strong man with a weak will, emotionally driven, not Spirit led. He ruined his life one step at a time. How do we keep from going rogue like he did?
Breaking the Ice
* How would you describe your favorite meal — appetizer, drink, entree and/or dessert?
* What is one thing you're passionate about?
Today we'll see that instead of being driven by emotions, we should be led by the Spirit.
Read Judges 14:19b-20. Samson "went down to the town of Ashkelon, killed thirty men, took their belongings, and gave their clothing to the men who had solved his riddle. But Samson was furious about what had happened, and he went back home to live with his father and mother. So his wife was given in marriage to the man who had been Samson’s best man at the wedding." (NLT)
* Have you ever been driven by anger?
* Did you feel in control of our actions?
* Were you better or worse off after making your decision out of anger?
* How could you have done things differently?
Read Rom. 7:21-23, "I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me." (NLT)
* When was the last time you felt like that–where you wanted to do what was right, but you still did what was wrong?
* Why is it so hard to overcome our feelings and desires to do what is right?
Read Galatians 5:16-17, "So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions." (NLT)
* What does it look like being Spirit led?
* How can you tell if you're being Spirit led instead of emotion driven?
Read 2 Timothy 1:7, "For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." (ESV)
* When was a time you exercised self-control?
* How did that make the situation go better?
Remember, instead of being driven by emotions, we should be led by the Spirit.
* How can we encourage each other to be led by the Spirit?
* Because of what we've learned today, what is one thing I will do differently this week?