Small Steps Toward Big Destruction
Samson was a strong man with a weak will, emotionally driven, not Spirit led. He ruined his life one step at a time. How do we keep from going rogue like he did?
Breaking the Ice
* What's the longest trip you've ever traveled on foot?
* Was the trip worth the walk?
Today, we'll see most people ruin their life, not all at once, but one step at a time.
Read Judges 16:1, "One day Samson went to the Philistine town of Gaza and spent the night with a prostitute."
* Probably about 25 miles, or 56,250 steps away from his home
* He had over 56 thousand steps to realize it wasn't a good idea
* How do you think Samson was able to ignore his conscience long enough to make the trip?
* How do we consistently ignore what we know is right?
* What are some ways to help us from "going off the deep end" in whatever particular sin we struggle with?
Read 1 Peter 5:8, "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour."
* Would you walk unguarded in front of a hungry lion?
* How does that thought help you think about Satan's desire to destroy us through sin?
Read 1 Corinthians 10:12, "If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall."
* How does being complacent about sin make us more likely to fall into it?
* How can being complacent lead us to slowly slip into sin?
Read James 1:14-15, "Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death."
* Why does temptation become harder to ignore the longer we let it stay around?
* How do we keep our desires in check so they don't grow into temptation?
Read 1 Corinthians 10:13, "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure."
* How does it help knowing your temptations are not unique to you?
* What are things we can do to look for ways out of temptation?
Remember, most people ruin their life, not all at once, but one step at a time.
* Where are you stepping away from God? (we're only as strong as we are honest)
* Because of what we've learned today, what is one thing I will do differently this week?