Scary Stories to tell in the Dark
Don’t Go In There
Have you ever seen a scary movie with bad acting? It seems like every scary movie I have seen makes me yell at the screen telling the character not to open the door or not to go in because we know what’s on the other side. This week we discovered what’s on the other side of the door of our fears, and that is worry and anxiety. When you choose to feed into your worry and anxiety, you choose to lose the peace that God offers. Let’s discuss what it looks like to NOT go in there!
1. Ice Breaker: What’s the worst/most ridiculous “don’t go in there” scene you’ve witnessed in a movie? Have you ever been the person that’s heard a noise and opened that door?
2. Anxiety is dealt with in many different ways today. How do you see most people around you coping with their anxiety?
3. At what point of the day does fear and anxiety creep up on you? What are those things that make you most anxious?
4. Anxiety changes the way we live because it causes us to hesitate and make decisions we typically wouldn’t. If you miraculously had no anxiety today, what would be different? Would you treat others differently? Try something new? Smile more? Ask for that raise? Be kinder to your spouse?
5. Read Philippians 4:6-7. Is it really possible to not be anxious anymore? Does prayer, supplication, and thanksgiving have any effect on your anxiety? What does it change?
Philippians 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
6. The pastor said, “The waves that take us down in life are not usually the outside ones, but the waves that are inside”. How do we create waves of anxiety in our own lives? (Our words, Our approach, The voices we listen to, Our expectations, The shame we carry)
7. Do you think it’s actually possible to let go of your anxiety? Do you truly believe God is bigger than your anxiety and can remove that from your life? Do you think it will be instantaneous, or will it be a process? How can you start to see this happen?
We want you to get as much out of each week as you can! Life Groups are a great place for you to discuss with those around you what the bible says and how you apply it to your life, but it is so important to have a daily devotion with God. Each day of the week we have created a devotion that you can choose to follow along with through the month of October. Check out the devotion for this week at tff.church or text “tffdevo” to 555-888 to opt into a daily reminder for the devotional.
CHANGING YOUR MIND
Joshua 1:9 This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”