Week 1: Building the Boat
Most of us know what it’s like to feel like we have no financial breathing room. We often feel like we are “under water” when we can’t pay for what’s important because our bank account is devoted to the immediate. Living “paycheck to paycheck” isn’t exactly the American Dream, nor is it God’s way to handle our finances. Let’s talk about how to discover breathing room once again.
1. What’s the grossest “poor man’s meal” you ever ate? A ketchup sandwich? Ramen Noodles?
2. Read Galatians 6:7. The Law of the Harvest says that we harvest what we plant, but always later and greater. What does this have to do with your money?
3. How does living without breathing room financially create an improper value system for your life and family?
4. The speaker said, “Having no breathing room creates habits in one stage of life that have repercussions in the next.” Have you found this to be true? How so?
5. How does a lack of financial freedom possibly point to a lack of spiritual freedom?
6. Read Matthew 6:21. Would you say that your use of money says good things about your relationship with God?
You heard the man, today! You need to be knowing where all of your money is going. Keep track of what you spend this week and see where your financial priorities are. Are you focused on the important? Or just the immediate? If you need, ask your group to pray for you this week as you look at money in a new way.
CHANGING YOUR MIND
For where you treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21