Week 4: Managing your Expenses
Do you remember when you got your first cell phone? What was the year? Could you imagine still having that same phone today? Most of us would cringe at that idea. Maybe it’s because we find the most modern technology helpful, or because we couldn’t imagine people seeing us with that old of a phone. Either way, we have fallen into a trap called “Discontentment.” As we discuss week 4 of Breathing Room, ask yourself “Would I be content for the rest of my life if I never upgraded anything again?” Open your Bible to 1 Timothy 6 for this discussion.
1. If you had to sacrifice one thing you’ve upgraded in life and only have the original, what would it be? (Car, House, Phone, TV)
2. How does Awareness fuel Discontentment?
3. Most of us wouldn’t put discontentment on our list of “big sins.” It just doesn’t seem to fit on the same line as cheating on your spouse, killing someone, or lying to the IRS. Do you feel like discontentment is not really as serious to God as some other sins?
4. Read 1 Timothy 6:6-8. What is the true formula for great gain? (godliness with contentment) How do you live that out?
5. Read 1 Timothy 6:10-11. Do you agree with the statement “The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil”? How does a love for money (and stuff) cause evil?
6. Read 1 Timothy 6:18-19. What financial priorities does Paul give here, and how can you make these your focus? Why does the Apostle Paul consider this way of living “Truly living”?
Life Groups is all about providing a place to Connect, Protect, and Grow. How are you on the Protect aspect of life groups? You can truly grow with others when you let others know your real-life struggles because odds are someone here has either gone through them also or are going through them now. Reach out to someone in this group (same sex) sometime this week and continue building relationships outside of groups.
CHANGING YOUR MIND
But you, man of God, flee from all this and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:11