Week 2: Reading the Fine Print
Do you know what it feels like to be suffocating? Or to be extremely hungry? When we feel like we don’t have financial breathing room in our life, our spirit is sending us a signal just like our body does when we are hungry or don’t have enough air. It’s telling us that something isn’t right, that something needs to change. Are you listening to what your spirit is telling you? Let’s talk about what God says about our finances in Week 2 of Breathing Room.
1. What have you usually considered the biggest financial priority you have? Giving, saving, spending, or something else?
2. Read 1 Chronicles 29:10-14. What do these verses teach us about how God views our money and our stuff? (Leader Note: Everything belongs to God, comes from God, and is distributed by God)
3. We learned Sunday that our biggest financial priority is always to honor God with everything. What do you think it looks like to honor God with everything, not just with a 10% tithe?
4. The Law of Return states: When you give God what God gave you, you give yourself freedom. What would it look like for you to surrender everything you have to God? How does that change the way you pay bills? Balance your checking account? Budget, save, or plan?
5. The speaker said, “God doesn’t want something from us, He wants something for us.” Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
6. Last week, the speaker said, “There is a relationship between your use of money and the condition of your heart.” How does this week’s message help us understand that statement?
Last week, you filled out your expenses on a sheet of paper every time you spent money. This week, as soon as you can, look over that list of purchases and ask yourself, “Does everything on here honor God?” and “How could I honor God better with my finances?” Ask God to give you wisdom and to make clear the changes you need to make to discover financial breathing room in your life.
CHANGING YOUR MIND
Everything comes from You, and we have given You only what comes from Your hand. 1 Chronicles 29:14b