Grace to Grow
One of the things God has designed us to do is grow. He encourages us not to stay where we are or to settle with the growth that we have already experienced but to look forward at what’s next. Growth is not about being good enough for God, but growth is about Potential, Process, and Purpose and we are going to explore tonight how you can make sure you are on a path of growth in life and your relationship with God.
1. Ice Breaker: When did you hit your growth spurt as a kid? How much did you grow? (Sorry short people, your growth spurt awaits you in heaven)
2. Explain in the best way how a Butterfly is an accurate representation of Growth? How does a butterfly’s growth relate to our own?
3. If God isn’t asking us to grow so that we can earn his love or our place in heaven, then what is the purpose of Growth? (Spiritual growth/maturity is about becoming MORE OF who God has already made you to be)
4. Read Ephesians 4:20-24. The way Paul describes this process of “taking off your old self” and “putting on the new” makes it seem like an overnight thing, but it’s not. What are some “old self” habits and attitudes you can start to remove from your life? What are some “new self” habits and attitudes that you can begin to put on daily?
Ephesians 4:20-24 That, however, is not the way of life you learned when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
5. We are told that growth is possible for everyone because it is about potential. What prevents us from accepting/recognizing that potential in our lives?
6. A quote by John Maxwell states “Change is inevitable, growth is optional.” How are change and growth different? Are there areas of your own life that you feel you have changed, but haven’t necessarily grown?
7. The formula for Growth = Time + God’s Strength + Healthy Decisions. Which of these three is the most difficult for you? Do you struggle with the patience and process of growing, leaning on God and depending on His strength or making the wise decisions that will allow you to grow?
As we just talked about, one of the ways to Grow in your life is to promote healthy decision making in your life. Take a second and think about what Healthy decision you can make tomorrow to begin a process of growth and share with the group what that is. Then, ask someone in your group (of the same sex) to hold you accountable by making sure you made that healthy decision. Be accountable to those around you!
CHANGING YOUR MIND
You have a purpose!
Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.